Exit Counseling


If you are a student who has borrowed Federal Stafford or Direct Loan funding during your educational career, federal regulations require that you complete Exit Counseling upon completion of a program of study (graduation) or if you have ceased enrollment at the College (transfer out of the college or withdrawal from the College). 


This requirement can be satisfied by visiting the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) website at  www.NSLDS.ed.gov and by clicking the “Exit Counseling” link. You will need your social security number, date of birth and FAFSA Personal Identification number (PIN) to log in.   

The Exit Counseling session consists of the following sections:  

  • Getting Started - Types of Federal Student Loans, Loan Terminology 
  • Repaying Your Loan - Loan Summary Information (NSLDS), Interest Rates & Payment of Interest, Entering Repayment, Repayment Incentives, Repayment Plans, Making Payments 
  • Having Trouble Making Payments - Deferments, Forbearances, Delinquency and Default, Loan Consolidation 
  • Loan Discharge and Loan Forgiveness   
  • Resources - Financial Literacy, Additional Information, Borrower's Rights and Responsibilities 

At the end of the Exit Counseling session, you will be asked for information that will be included in your loan record. This includes names, addresses and phone numbers for your next of kin, two references who live in the United States, your future employer (if known), and your driver’s license number, if you have one. Having this information with you when you start will help your exit counseling session go more quickly and smoothly.

If you are planning to continue your education within 6 months of completing your program of study or of dropping below part-time status, your Federal Loans will be deferred if you are enrolled at least half-time.  


For additional information on your personal federal loan history, please click on the Loan History and Consolidation tab on the left of the page. 


If you have any questions or concerns, or if you would like to schedule an appointment to discuss your Loan Exit Counseling in person, please contact Student Financial Services.