The College Seal
The College Seal, chosen May 1928, was adapted from the ancient family coat-of-arms of Henri de Maupas, Bishop of LePuy, France, the first ecclesiastical superior of the Sisters of Saint Joseph, who canonically approved the order March 10, 1651.
To the Maupas shield, a gold griffin on a scarlet background, have been added a silver carpenter’s square, symbol of St. Joseph, and a heraldic mount to symbolize the consecration of the Congregation of the Sisters of Sr. Joseph to the Most Holy Trinity.
In the “chief” (upper portion) are the lilies of Our Lady and St. Joseph, and in the center, a book, traditional heraldic emblem of a seat of learning. On its open pages is the College motto: Fides – Caritas – Scientia (Faith – Charity – Knowledge).
The griffin is a fabulous heraldic animal, a combination of eagle and lion. In ecclesiastical heraldry, the eagle is symbol of St. John; the lion, a symbol of St. Mark.