The Writing Center offers individual tutoring, group workshops, and a resource library. Students may schedule an appointment online (see menu on left) or call 215.248.7114 to make a 30-60 minute appointment. The Center is located in St. Joseph Hall, 3rd floor.
Summer 2015 Writing Center Hours
||12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
||3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
||4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
||12:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
||10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
||11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Writing Center tutors assist students in various stages of the writing process. More specifically, tutors can help students with the following:
- Understanding an assignment
- Generating their own ideas to get started on a paragraph or essay
- Focusing or organizing a paragraph or essay
- Providing feedback on a rough draft
- Generating their own topic sentences for paragraphs and thesis statements for essays
- Learning how to proofread and edit their own papers
- Understanding how to revise a paragraph or essay according to an instructor's suggestions
- Reviewing rules for grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure (avoiding fragments, run-on sentences)
- Reviewing guidelines for how to document research (APA, MLA, Chicago)
Please bring the following items to your visit:
- Assignment guide and course syllabus
- Printed copy of your paper
- Questions on the assignment or on grammar/writing in general
Our library of writing resources is available during open hours. Stop by to review our handouts on grammar, tips for writing various types of papers, graphic organizers, resources on research documentation (APA, MLA, Chicago), and more.
A Note to Faculty
We encourage all faculty members to invite a writing center representative to visit your classroom to discuss our resources. Additionally, we also provide a PowerPoint Document (click here to download) to use in your classroom as a way to introduce students to the writing center. Contact us for more information.
We look forward to working with you!