Lorraine Coons, Ph.D.
Professor of History
Chair of the History and Political Science Department
Office Location: Fournier Hall, Room 377
Office Phone: 215.248.7184 or 215.248.7113
- M.A., Ph.D., New York University
- Western Civilization I & II
- French Revolution
- Modern France
- Survey of Women's History
- Women in Modern European Society
- Europe in the Age of Nationalism
- Twentieth Century Europe
- Culture and Society in Modern Europe
- Senior Seminar
- Genocide in the Modern World
- Modern Europe, France
- Social and women's history
- History of travel/tourism
- "Orphans" of the Sweated Trades: Women Homeworkers in the Parisian Garment Industry (1860-1915) - NY: Garland Publishing Co., 1987.
- "Neglected Sisters" of the Women's Movement: The Perception and Experience of Working Mothers in the Parisian Garment Trades, Journal of Women's History, Fall 1993.
- Gabrielle Duchêne: Feminist, Pacifist, Reluctant Bourgeois, Peace and Change, April 1999.
- "Tourist Third Cabin": Steamship Travel in the Interwar Years (1919-1939) - NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2003
- From “Company Widow” to “New Woman:” Female Seafarers aboard the “Floating Palaces” of the Interwar Years, International Journal of Maritime History, December 2008
Related Scholarly Activities -- Historical Consulting