Susan McGroarty, Ph.D., ABPP
Associate Professor of Psychology
Pictured: Dr. Susan McGroarty with CHC PsyD Students Rebeccah Bernard and Allie Abrahamson, who shared the APA/APAGS 2014 award for Distinguished Graduate Student in Professional Psychology
Office Location: St. Joseph Hall, 4th flr., North Wing, SJ454
Office Phone: 215.248.7068
ABPP Diversity Committee Member; developed and implemented protocol for screening applicants to the inaugural Nezu Diversity Dissertation Award.
Faculty Mentor, Human Rights Forum.
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania
- M.S., University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
- Ethics and Professional Practice
- Advanced Topics in Human Diversity
- Practicum Group Supervision
- Clinical Experience Group Supervision
- Social Psychology
- Advanced Topics in Psychotherapy Integration
- Theories of Counseling
- A Systemic Approach to the Problems of Adolescents
- Introduction to Trauma Counseling
- Acute Trauma Intervention
- Working Effectively in Trauma-Impacted Communities
- Complex Trauma
- Counseling Techniques
- Group Therapy
- Tavistock Group Facilitation
- Social Psychology
- Behavior Therapy
- Global Issues
- Adult, adolescent, and child psychotherapy
- Diversity and multiculturalism
- Trauma therapy
- Human rights issues
- Psychology in the international forum
- Psychotherapy with clients with strong spiritual orientation
- Red Cross mental health volunteer
Rothery, C. and McGroarty, S. "Multiculturalism and Ethics", APA-approved continuing education workshop presented at the annual meeting of the Pennsylvania Psychological Association, June 2014.
Kapadia, R. and McGroarty, S. "The Experience of Stress in Clinical Psychology Doctoral Programs". Poster presentation at American Psychological Association Convention, August 2013.
Rothery, C. and McGroarty, S. "Multicultural Competence and Children". In-service training for Philadelphia Diversity Coalition, January 2014.
McGroarty, S. "Trauma Overview". In-service training for clinicians working in The Soldier's Project, November 2013.
McGroarty, S. "Understanding and Treating Anxious Children". In-service training for mental health workers, Catholic Charities, Diocese of Harrisburg, September 2013.
McGroarty, S.C. (2011). Trauma counseling. In A. Palmo, W. Wiekel & D. Borsos (Eds.), Foundations of mental health counseling (pp. 287-310). Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas Publishers.
McGroarty, S.C. (2011). Does membership matter? Balint groups with physician versus psychology trainees. Proceedings of the Meeting of the International Balint Society.
McGroarty, S.C. (2011). LeFreak: Cultural competence and alopecia. New Jersey Psychologist, Spring 2011.